We are looking for new trustees to help lead our dynamic charity through the next period of development; people with an interest in working with and have an understanding of the needs of women and believe in the importance of empowering women.
Would you like to:
- Help Kyra grow into a sustainable organisation?
- Support Kyra to make a difference and improve lives?
- Use your skills to support the community?
- Share knowledge and skills with our capable and enthusiastic Board of Trustees?
- Work as part of a supportive team to direct Kyra in helping women to make changes in their lives?
If so, we are looking for new board members who are happy working as part of a team, enjoy problem solving, who are able to think strategically and can commit to six full board meetings per year plus a minimum of one subcommittee.
We would especially welcome enquiries from people with legal and grant funding experience.
If you think you might be interested in becoming a Trustee Board Member and want to find out more or would like a copy of the application pack please contact either firstname.lastname@example.org or Yvonne@kyra.org.uk.
Deadline for Application is 3rd September 2016
About Kyra Women’s Project
Main business: Charity/voluntary sector, social enterprise & not for profit
Kyra Women’s Project aims to provide the following for the women of York:
- Non-judgmental support during periods of crisis
- Opportunities for education and personal growth
- A space to address social isolation, build networks and make friends
- Opportunities for self-help through the learning and sharing of new skills.
We work with women who are at a point of need due to, for example: isolation, unemployment, recovery from domestic violence, depression, drug dependency, or low self-esteem.
Kyra offers the following development activities which are free of charge to users:
- Life skills courses – including social and emotional aspects of learning, self-awareness, etc.
- Counselling, including bereavement and CBT
- Courses on domestic violence with the Independent Domestic Abuse Service
- ESTA Self-Esteem courses to build social and competency based confidence
- Assertiveness courses based on CBT learning
- Treatments including reflexology and reiki
- Drop in’s to encourage social interaction
- Craft, therapeutic art
- Stress Management
- ICT courses to develop confidence and access to digital age
- Courses on peri natal care
- Workshops on
- law and children, housing and relationships
- healthy eating
- post natal depression
- eating disorders
- how to volunteer
We are a volunteer-led organisation in which qualified professionals (i.e. teachers, clinicians etc.) run activities to empower women and help with their skills development. Our 36 volunteers come from the local community.
We engage with marginalised women and make special efforts to include women who are referred from organisations like IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Service), RAY (Refugee Action York), and Askham Grange Prison. Our courses give women the skills they need to move from relying on others’ advocacy to developing self-advocacy. Kyra works with the women holistically to overcome whatever barriers they are experiencing. We work with small groups of women to ensure they have individual help and support tailored to their needs.